turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

*Inherited house*

Hello,

I inherited my Father's home in late 2018. I have been paying the mortgage since then. The actual mortgage loan is still in my Dad's name, but the DEED to the residence and the property taxes are in mine. I can absolutely show that i have made all of the responsible payments. My question: Can I claim the taxes/interest payments on my personal taxes this year? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

*Inherited house*

@paulygx3 wrote:

Can I claim the taxes/interest payments on my personal taxes this year? 

Provided you actually made the payments, you have an ownership interest in the house, the mortgage is secured debt (the property can be used to satisfy the debt in case of default), you can deduct the interest paid on Schedule A.

However, there are limitations on the amount of indebtedness.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p936#en_US_2018_publink100076298

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

*Inherited house*

Yes, since are the legal owner of the home and paid the entire mortgage, you can claim the full amount of mortgage interest and taxes you paid if you itemize on Schedule A.

For more information on your mortgage interest, see IRS Publication 936Home Mortgage Interest.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

*Inherited house*

You can claim it all with no problems or issues. Just be aware that I do know that somewhere (I think in the 1098 entry screen) there's a checkbox for you to indicate that you are not the named individual on the actual 1098-Mortgage Interest Statement. Make sure you select that box and deal with any followup questions that may follow concerning that. It's not a big deal really.

Anonymous
Not applicable

*Inherited house*

wrong.  interest on mortgages over $750,000 would not be deductible and taxes - all taxes are limited to $10,000 or $5,000 if Married Filing Separately. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies