Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paynemint

Where do I find Virginia long term capital gains to subtract?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cindy0H

In the Virginia interview, it asks about Federally Taxed Long-Term Capital Gains (see screenshot).If you can meet all of those requirements, then you can qualify for the Virginia Long-Term Capital Gain Subtraction.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

How do I find the amount to  subtract

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You have to determine how much of the capital gain you included on your federal return comes from a "qualified business" in Virginia.  According to the VA Tax website:

Income taxed as a long-term capital gain, or any income taxed as investment services partnership income for federal tax purposes is allowed as a subtraction provided the income is attributable to an investment in a "qualified business" as defined in Va. Code § 58.1-339.4 or in any other technology business approved by the Secretary of Technology.

• Qualified businesses include those related to advanced computing, advanced materials, advanced manufacturing, agricultural technologies, biotechnology, electronic device technology, energy, environmental technology, medical device technology, nanotechnology, or any similar technology related field.
  • The business must have its principal facility in Virginia and less than $3 million in annual revenues for the fiscal year preceding the investment.
  • The investment must be made between the dates of April 1, 2010, and June 30, 2020.
  • Taxpayers claiming the Qualified Equity and Subordinated Debt Credit cannot claim this subtraction relating to investments in the same business.
  • In addition, no investment is "qualified" for this deduction if the business performs research in Virginia on human embryonic stem cells. 

Virginia Subtractions from Income

​​​​​​​

Can you please put it in real everyday English not layer jargon.    Please show or give some information on how to find or see where it is located.   I invested in Robinhood and have only $39.00 in the long term capital gains. This is my first time trying to put this on the tax forms

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here is a TurboTax help article that will help you enter the capital gains from Robinhood. There are instructions with the steps you will use to enter your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies