turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the QBI section of rentals, how do you change opting for combining businesses when that question doesn't come up anymore?

When  I first updated this years rental information, it asked if I wanted to combine my businesses  if they are essentially the same.  I chose yes when I should have said no.   But when I go back through all the questions, and even at the QBI question, it just asks about QBI, and does not expand to the other questions again.  Those question series also asked about specified service trade or business (SSTB).  Again, that  entire section does not show up again anywhere for either rental.  I need to change that answer and elect to separate the businesses again.  What do I do when the question series I need doesn't show up again? 

If no one knows the  answer to this, is there a way I can send this question to Turbotax software help itself to see if they can answer?  If so, how? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

In the QBI section of rentals, how do you change opting for combining businesses when that question doesn't come up anymore?

For 2019, there is a new form for calculating your Qualified Business Income Deduction. It is Form 8995

The IRS has not released the final version of this form, so it is not in Turbo Tax yet.

If you would like to look at the draft version on the IRS website, click here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The point is that Turbotax DID ask the questions and allowed me to choose answers.  But when I try to get those same questions to come up again on Turbotax, the questions won't come up again.  This seems to be a glitch in the software.  Even going into the forms themselves does not allow me to change some answers in that line of questioning. 

I already chose an answer on Turbotax Premier and I need to change that answer.  How do I do that when I can't get those questions to come up again? 

If it helps - I have the Windows download of Turbotax Premier. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The Qualified Business Income (QBI) question comes up for a rental property as you are leaving that section of your return. 

To get back to the question, go to your list of rental properties on the Rental and Royalty Summary page and click Edit beside the property name.  You do not need to go into any of the income or expense categories.  Click Done With Rental Property.  The QBI question will be in the follow-up screens that you see as you are getting out of the rental section.

I am having the same problem and I tried what is suggested here - but did not get back to the question.  I need to change my answer too. Can you help get me back to that question so I can change my answer?

jennhp
Returning Member

Did anyone find a solution for this? Thank you in advance. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online, go to the Deductions and Credits section, and at the bottom of the summary page click the "Wrap Up Tax Breaks" button.  Continue through the screen about Standard Deduction versus Itemized, and you'll get to a series of QBI questions.  Eventually you should get to an "Does this [business] share common ownership and is it eligible to be combined..." screen.  That is where you select to treat the businesses as separate.

If for some reason you do not get these screens, try this "manual" method in to “un-aggregate” your businesses in TurboTax Online: 

1. Go to Delete a Form: In the left menu, select the dropdown arrow next to Tax Tools and then under that select Tools; in the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  2. Find the QBI Component form for the aggregated businesses.  Delete that QBI Component sheet.
  3. Now, go to Review and start the review routine.
  4. You will have an error for each business that no longer has a QBI Component form.  For each of those businesses, you will see the “primary” form for that business (Schedule E). It will be highlighted for Question A in the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet.
  5. Double click in the highlighted Question A box, and you will get a pop-up asking you to link to a QBI component worksheet.  Create a new copy for that business (e.g., give it the name of that business).
  6. Continue until you have created a separate QBI component worksheet for each business that you do not want to aggregate.

You can perform this same "manual" un-aggregation in Forms mode of TurboTax Download/CD versions.

mikkchar

same problem, i want to remove the QBI from my rentals and can't find the place to do it. I have the premier not online and i don't feel comfortable just deleting forms. what can be done to change this?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Are you asking about removing the QBI deduction or un-aggregating your businesses?    To un-aggregate multiple businesses or properties, follow the instructions in the post right above yours.   If you just don't want the property to qualify for QBI, you can return to the QBI questions and indicate that the business or property does not qualify for QBI.  

You can do a search for qbi and use the Jump to qbi link to be taken to a list of businesses or properties that potentially qualify for the QBI.   You can return to those activities and update the QBI questions which are found at the end of each activity.   @mikkchar  

mikkchar

I don't know how to search, the search function only looks online.

I went through the questions on the property like the previous person mentioned and no questions come back for QBI.

where are these question located?

mikkchar

i found it, just had to keep going through everything. It is not easy.

I'm still looking for where to combine my rental businesses into one.

I can't get back to the question asking if I wanted to combine them for QBI purposes. 

I sure wish I'd said yes.  Spending hours looking!!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, there is a specific way for you to combine (referred to aggregation) all your businesses so you can claim QBI. Here are the steps.

1. Go to federal>wages and income>rental properties and royalties>start
  2. Enter all of your rental properties information including income expenses, profile etc.
  3. Once everything is entered, you should reach a page that says your Rental and Royalty Summary. Select edit on one of the properties.
  4. Select  Done with Rental property at the bottom of the page.
  5. Now as you scroll through the screen, there will be a screen that asks if you wish to use safe harbor to qualify for a deduction, here you will say yes if you agree to its conditions that are listed on the page.  Please look at the first screenshot I provided.
  6. The next screen will remind you to add more properties to the enterprise if you haven't done so. You will do this for each property you wish to claim QBI.  You will add these in the manner I have described in steps 4 and 5 above.  
  7. just as a precaution, you may or may not decide to aggregate your properties for this deduction. Please read this Turbo Tax link and read the article written by Champ Carl as he lists some compelling reasons you might not wish to choose this election, at least for some of your properties.
  8. Here is your screenshot I listed above strictly for your reference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies