Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099 for oil and gas royalties in WV. The 1099 MISC is from New Jersey. Who do I pay non resident state income taxes to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I received a 1099 for oil and gas royalties in WV. The 1099 MISC is from New Jersey. Who do I pay non resident state income taxes to?

You pay the non-resident state tax to the state where the property that produces the royalties is located.  In your case, WV.  

It does not matter where the Form 1099-MISC came from.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.  I only made $189.00 in royalties.  Does that matter?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Looking through the instructions for the WV Individual Income Tax Return, there does not seem to be an income limit that must be reached before non-residents must file a return for WV source income.  So, it looks like the return is required simply because the income is from a WV source.  

Here is a link to the instructions if you'd like to take a look:  Instructions for WV Individual Income Tax Return

@ksj10506

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much.  That answers all of my questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies