Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I ran an airbnb (under my SSN) for part of last year. The profits were shared with the homeowner and another person. Do I need to issue 1099-MISCs or 1099-NECs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

I ran an airbnb (under my SSN) for part of last year. The profits were shared with the homeowner and another person. Do I need to issue 1099-MISCs or 1099-NECs?

Yes.  Payments made to individuals in the course of a trade or business greater than $600 need to be reported on the 1099-Misc or the 1099-NEC.  Real estate agents or property managers must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner.  In your scenario, if the other person is a maintenance or cleaning person, you should issue a 1099-NEC.  The amounts paid the property owner would be shown as rents on the 1099-MISC.  Again, if the amounts paid are less than $600, then no 1099 would need to issued.

HERE is a good link to an article on reporting AirBnB income

Click HERE for information on completing your 1099 forms through TurboTax Quick Employer Forms.

That’s complicated. If you were in a partnership, then technically the partnership must file a separate partnership return form 1065. This requires the use of a program called TurboTax business, which is separate from the personal version and is only available as a CD or download to install on your own computer; it is not available online or for the Macintosh. As part of filing the 1065, you will issue a K-1 statement to each partner and that goes on each partner’s personal tax return to report share of income and expenses.

If you are running a property management service as a sole proprietorship, and you paid rent to the homeowner and fees to a person who was clearly your subordinate or subcontractor, the above procedure may be correct as well.  Did you run the business together or was it your business with subordinates?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies