turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a cash liquidation distribution. Nobody knows my cost basis except me. Do I put a lump sum gain on the capital gains sheet or fill out form 8949 and schedule D?

It's a stock liquidation. I have a gain but Fidelity and IRS do not know my cost basis. How do I list this on my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a cash liquidation distribution. Nobody knows my cost basis except me. Do I put a lump sum gain on the capital gains sheet or fill out form 8949 and schedule D?

Presumably you know your cost basis?

Cash liquidation distributions pretty much act like returns of capital: you reduce your basis on your own books and records.  As long as you still have basis there's no reporting required.  If a cash liquidation distribution exceeds your current basis then you report that as a sale using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and telling TurboTax you didn't get a 1099-B.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Presumably you know your cost basis?

Cash liquidation distributions pretty much act like returns of capital: you reduce your basis on your own books and records.  As long as you still have basis there's no reporting required.  If a cash liquidation distribution exceeds your current basis then you report that as a sale using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and telling TurboTax you didn't get a 1099-B.

Tom. I have a related problem..  My TurboTax Smart Check came up with an "error": Schedule B -- Form 1099-DIV: PVT act bond int amount should be less than or equal to Box 10($0.00) amount on 1099.

The Box 10 is Noncash liquidation distributions and is 0.0.  The line 12 is a positive amount.  How can this be fixed?

Thanks 

Lew L.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@lewleib  You need to delete the zero in box 10.  Box 10 should be blank.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies