turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

duyuustc

I bought stock A on Aug 31 and sold it on Sep 15 to have a gain. I bought it again on Sep 30 and sold it on Oct 15 for a loss. Is this loss disallowed due to wash sale?

how about the opposite situation? Bought A on Aug 31 and sold it on Sep 15 to have a loss. Then bought it again on Sep 30 and sold it on Oct 15 for a gain. Is this loss disallowed due to wash sale? Thank you so much for your explanation.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I bought stock A on Aug 31 and sold it on Sep 15 to have a gain. I bought it again on Sep 30 and sold it on Oct 15 for a loss. Is this loss disallowed due to wash sale?

wash sale is what occurs when you sell securities at a loss and buy the same shares within 30 days before or after the sale date. Wash sale rules are designed to prevent investors from creating a deductible loss for the purpose of offsetting gains with only a short interruption in owning the security.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I bought stock A on Aug 31 and sold it on Sep 15 to have a gain. I bought it again on Sep 30 and sold it on Oct 15 for a loss. Is this loss disallowed due to wash sale?

A.  No. You did not buy shares of the same stock, sold at a loss, within 30 days of the sale (Aug 31 to Oct 15 is more than 30 days). 

Q. Bought A on Aug 31 and sold it on Sep 15 to have a loss. Then bought it again on Sep 30 and sold it on Oct 15 for a gain. Is this loss disallowed due to wash sale? 

A. Yes. Sep 15 to Sep 30 is within 30 days. 

wash sale occurs when you sell securities at a loss and buy the same shares within 30 days before or after the sale date of securities sold at a loss

Google this and start reading :  wash sale loss disallowed tax return

in short, because there was a gain on the first sale the purchase of these shares is ignored for the wash sale rules. there is no wash sale on the repurchase. since you sold the second lot as a loss but there are no purchases the count within the 30-day window of the second sale  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies