turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I continue past the warnings TurboTax is giving me for selling a stock option prior to the date acquired given wrote/sold an Option (Call) that expired?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

How do I continue past the warnings TurboTax is giving me for selling a stock option prior to the date acquired given wrote/sold an Option (Call) that expired?

If I understand your question correctly.  You sold an option (call), then it expired at a later date.  I successfully posted that showing a sale date that was prior to the purchase (Expiration) date, and it calculated correctly with no error.  What is the warning that you are getting?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The warnings that I am receiving when I report a call option that was sold in a previous tax year but expired in the current tax year is that when the final review is done by turbo tax, it reflects that all these call transactions are in error because they reflect a different tax year in the sale date block and it will not let me file electronically because it says I have 15 errors of these type of transactions.  However, the actual dates reflecting prior year sale are correct.  How can I get around this and file electronically?

The call option was still open at the end of 2019  and it closed in 2020 so it will be reported on the 2020 return ... the income from options sold (written) is reported in the tax year in which the options expire, or are exercised or bought back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies