turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting lots of error messages during "smart Check." "Form 1099-B... Cost or Adjustment Basis does not match the value on the Capital Gain Adjustment worksheet."

Is this an error on the program or on the 1099-B source?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Getting lots of error messages during "smart Check." "Form 1099-B... Cost or Adjustment Basis does not match the value on the Capital Gain Adjustment worksheet."

The tax software and the downloaded numbers are not rounding in the same method and this is throwing off the worksheet. This is a known issue and a fix is in the works.

You may like: Cryptocurrency & How does selling stock affect my taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate the responds. Spent an hour on the phone yesterday and was told I need to upgrade to Premier for assistance... Thank goodness I didn't.   

I have the same error message too. How do I solve / correct this error so that I can submit my return for IRS asap?

Thanks,

Tep

Thank you, AmyC, for the brief good news that says "a fix is in the works".  Do you think Turbo Tax will notify me and others who have the same suffering soon enough? I would love to finish my tax return asap. 

Below is the message I repeatedly received (in the error looping) that prevented me to finish up the tax report and submit it electronically to the IRS.

Check This Entry

Form 1099-B Worksheet (TD Ameritrade Clearing, Inc.): Sales Price does not match the value on the Capital Gain (Loss) Adjustment Worksheet. Leave this value blank when using the Capital Gain(Loss) Adjustment Worksheet

Sales Price 2,806.94

Form 1099-B Worksheet 2020
Keep for your records
Name(s) Shown on Return Social Security No

etc. etc.

I am having the same issue. How will we know whenever the problem is corrected?

Beats me !

Tom Malan

Has this error been fixed?

Can my return be filed with the error?

Hi, Tom Malan.  Right now I'm almost sure that the "error" will never be acknowledged by the TurboTax management, let alone fixing it. A good news is that we CAN submit our returns (without errors) by mail.  For the next tax year let's move to the H&R Block. 

Hello Amy,

Just checking in and see if you have any news on the estimated timeframe for the fix. 

Thank you,

Hi sam98

Thank you for the good question.

But there are many good and great questions that have remained unanswered.

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

There is an additional capital gain/loss worksheet being generated that technical is working on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Since the IRS will not start processing returns until 2/12 there is time to wait for the fix.  Check a couple times a week ... Wed & Sat are good.

I am getting an error message in Smart Check about an adjustment cannot be zero - must be blank for all - and I can't correct the field. Won't let me clear it or change it. This is the only issue remaining (4 of the same message from an imported Acorns file).

Hi DeciduousTree

You won't have any of these issues if you choose the paper version. Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know. I am a happy man now after my mailing of the paper form to the IRS a week ago. You can be happy too.

Next year let's not come back to Turbo Tax.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies