turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgilf

Depreciation info did not carry forward

The depreciation from previous year didn't carry forward on input. This happened last year and I just reentered it. I have more time this year and I want to have it imputed for the future. Please advise

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@rgilf wrote:

I have more time this year and I want to have it imputed for the future. Please advise

Depreciation will carry forward provided you enter an asset into the program that is to be capitalized and depreciated. Did you actually enter an asset (or assets) or did you just enter a figure for the depreciation deduction (in which case TurboTax would not carry it forward).

View solution in original post

13 Replies

@rgilf wrote:

I have more time this year and I want to have it imputed for the future. Please advise

Depreciation will carry forward provided you enter an asset into the program that is to be capitalized and depreciated. Did you actually enter an asset (or assets) or did you just enter a figure for the depreciation deduction (in which case TurboTax would not carry it forward).

I did my return on TT desktop last year, saved it on my computer with PDF file, and now I am using TT desktop for 2019, when I forwarded my file, it did not carry over my depreciation information????   There is alot to depreciate and I do not want to manually enter it every year!! 

@catmking  wrote:

I did my return on TT desktop last year, saved it on my computer with PDF file, and now I am using TT desktop for 2019, when I forwarded my file, it did not carry over my depreciation information????  

That is correct; your depreciation will not carry over if you transferred your return using a PDF file for 2018.

You need to transfer your return from 2018 to 2019 using your ****.tax2018 file. Transfers from PDFs will result in only a limited amount of data imported into the following year's return.

My depreciation did not carry forward.  I've used TT for years, and it has always carried forward.  It showed my investment properties already, but with no depreciation.  How do I get this fixed?  It's a huge difference in my refund.....

I find it very frustrating that this problem - which clearly seems a software issue, can only be potentially resolved by my spending more money to upgrade my support level.  Create a problem, get more $$??

@tomduly wrote:

I find it very frustrating that this problem - which clearly seems a software issue, can only be potentially resolved by my spending more money to upgrade my support level.  Create a problem, get more $$??

I understand your frustration, but this anomaly appears to affect the online versions of TurboTax and is currently being investigated. Hopefully, the issue will be rectified shortly.

I worked with a very competent support person who confirmed that this was not my problem, but a TurboTax problem.

Does your statement confirming that mean I will get my additional premium refunded?  I was forced to pay it to confirm you have a software problem.

I was able to override it by adding the assets in again from scratch, requiring me to delve into eight year old tax returns and purchase information in my files.

This seems reasonable...... I don't want to pay for your online software bugs!

@tomduly You will have to contact Support for any adjustment.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

amvetica

I have rental property and the depreciation has always carried forward - never a problem.   I am doing my 2021 return and noticed that my 2020 Depreciation info did not carry forward. I pulled my 2020 Turbo tax return and the depreciation was not carried forward. I checked my 2019 and 2018 turbo tax returns, and those returns have the depreciation carried forward.  So the depreciation problem is a Turbo tax software problem for 2020 and now 2021.    I have been a Turbo Tax user for decades... 2020 and 2021 is my first time experiencing a software glitch.  PLEASE FIX!

HOW DO I FIX THE 2020 RETURN to add the depreciation, AND ALSO HOW DO I APPLY THE DEPRECIATION ON MY 2021 RETURN?  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@amvetica You can file an amended return to enter the depreciation on your 2020 tax return. To do so, you need to add the assets into the rental section by reporting the cost and date put into service. The program will calculate the prior depreciation based on that information.

You will need to add them again on your 2021 return, unless you are using the desktop version of TurboTax on your computer. If so, you can transfer your 2020 tax information to 2021 when you begin your 2021 tax return. 

The problem you describe normally happens when you inadvertently start a new rental property instead of working off one that was carried over from the previous year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The 2020 depreciation info did not carry forward

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

@diralat Please clarify if you have a question on this topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
manchang

I have the same problem. Has TT fixed it? Thanks!

mtnpilot
Returning Member

Nope!

It's a TT bug that they never fixed. 

I paid for the upgrade not to have to do this, and yet here we are...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies