Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2022 tax filing with K-1 Part III Box 16 checked and K-3 (US source income only)

I am filing my 2022 return.  I am a partner in a LLC.  I received my K-1 and it includes a K-3.  The only income is qualified dividend from US domestic source.  Income is shown in Part II Line(s) 24 and 55 in Column A (US Source).  The latest update of TurboTax Premier does not seem to allow for US Source in its selections or Column A entries.  It seems to require a foreign country  to be entered and the pulldown list does not have United States and a selection.  I talked to PWC partner and he informed me that the IRS allowed for a pass on the K-3 in the prior year, but they are required for tax year 2022.  The prior discussions and Q/A responses related to this appear to be related to the prior tax year.  I would appreciate any guidance that would allow me to complete the K-1 and K-3 sections in TurboTax without having a faulty filing submitted to the IRS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

2022 tax filing with K-1 Part III Box 16 checked and K-3 (US source income only)

If the only country you have listed is the US or if columns b, c, d, and/or e are empty, you do not need the Schedule K-3 entered on your return.  The partnership must have 1 or more partners that require it to complete the Schedule but the information does not apply to you.  You can simply uncheck the Box 16 in your K-1 entry to TurboTax and proceed to enter the rest of your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

If the only country you have listed is the US or if columns b, c, d, and/or e are empty, you do not need the Schedule K-3 entered on your return.  The partnership must have 1 or more partners that require it to complete the Schedule but the information does not apply to you.  You can simply uncheck the Box 16 in your K-1 entry to TurboTax and proceed to enter the rest of your information.

US Sourced income for US citizens does get reported so there is no k-3 filing. that's why TurboTax does not want column A info.  with no foreign sourced income there should be nothing the other coulns and d line 21 of the k-1 should be blank.

here's part of a transmittal letter from a PTP.

The Partnership will report items of international tax relevance to our partners on Schedule K-3. All of our income is effectively
connected with a United States trade or business. A limited number of unitholders (primarily foreign unitholders, unitholders
computing a foreign tax credit on their tax return and certain corporate and/or partnership unitholders) may need the detailed
information disclosed on Schedule K-3 for their specific reporting requirements. We do not expect to report either (1) any foreign
income taxes paid or accrued on Schedule K-1, Line 21 or (2) any foreign-derived intangible income.

my experience with some tax partners is they shouldn't be allowed to even wash dishes. they're a partner because they brought in sufficient business. worked with one in a medium sized firm. his lack of tax knowledge almost got a client charged with tax evasion. and there was the Arthur Anderson scandal. 

Returning Member

I assume you meant, "simply uncheck Box 14" (Schedule K-3 is attached if checked)

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Correct, if you do not need to report a K-3 because there is no foreign income received, you uncheck the box (Schedule K-3 is attached if checked).  

@17999 

egg1
Level 2

Hi.  I just want to confirm that you are saying if only U.S. Income and Expense related items are populated on a K-3 received, it is not necessary for us to Input any information into Turbotax for that K-1.   The K-3 was received due to another Member's circumstances in the LLC triggered the Filing of the K-3 by the Entity.

Please confirm.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you have no other foreign income or foreign tax credits to report on your return you do not have to include the K-3. Keep it with your tax records.

egg1
Level 2

Thank you very much for confirming.

Have a great weekend.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You are very welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies