Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have received RSU while I was working abroad and not US taxpayer. I exercised them last year and my total cot basis is 0. Is that correct. I

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

I have received RSU while I was working abroad and not US taxpayer. I exercised them last year and my total cot basis is 0. Is that correct. I

Perhaps.  In the US, when RSUs vest that triggers taxable wages that you pay income tax on.  If the same happened to you when your RSUs vested, then your basis in the stock equals the amount of wage income your reported at that time for whatever country you paid taxes.  If you didn't pay taxes when the RSUs vested or otherwise didn't pay anything for them, then your basis is zero

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

Perhaps.  In the US, when RSUs vest that triggers taxable wages that you pay income tax on.  If the same happened to you when your RSUs vested, then your basis in the stock equals the amount of wage income your reported at that time for whatever country you paid taxes.  If you didn't pay taxes when the RSUs vested or otherwise didn't pay anything for them, then your basis is zero

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies