Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT-User2

Outstanding mortgage principal on 1/1 has no balance for HELOC, TT review complains. 12/31 had principal for home addition. How do I get past problem of $0 on 1/1?

When entering 1098, TT wants the beginning balance as of 1/1.  The loan is a HELOC and had a 0 balance on 1/1.  The HELOC was used for a home remodel, so at the end of the year there was a principal balance and mortgage interest was paid.  TT review complains that the beginning balance cannot be 0. How do you fix this so TT does not complain in the review?  Or is this a TT bug?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Outstanding mortgage principal on 1/1 has no balance for HELOC, TT review complains. 12/31 had principal for home addition. How do I get past problem of $0 on 1/1?

If you have a 2018 origination date in box 3 (and you should if you had no balance on 01.01.2018) you can move forward in the program. Leave box 2 blank. 

The program won't like box 2 blank, but once you enter a 2018 date in box 3 and click continue, you can move forward and the error is cleared. 

TT-User2

The problem is that the loan origin date is in 2017 as this is a HELOC. It is perfectly valid for a HELOC to have a 0 balance at the start of a year during the life of the HELOC. The solution works as described with a 2018 date, but does not work with a 2017 date.  This prevents the error from clearing.
Geoff Alexander
Returning Member

I also have this problem for my 2021 Taxes.  Seems like a bug in TurboTax.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The amount in box 2 is used to determine if your loan exceeds the $750000 threshold.  Form 1098 is an informational form that is not matched by the IRS.  If you know your loan balance, year-end statement for 2021, or your current balance you may use that amount for box 2.  This will allow you to proceed and will not impact your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies