turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rarich96

I am trying to calculate the cost basis for a mutual fund held for 55 years by my wife and her ex-husband and nobody knows the amount of the original investment. Advice?

I received all the annual reports for the fund investment back to 1972. However, the original investment was in 1969, made by my wife's ex-husband who is now deceased. Nobody knows the amount of the original investment. Neither the mutual fund company, Invesco, nor my wife's deceased husband or my wife has a record. The Invesco rep left a message on my phone with his best guess, so all I have is a voice mail. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I am trying to calculate the cost basis for a mutual fund held for 55 years by my wife and her ex-husband and nobody knows the amount of the original investment. Advice?

Try a Google search on the funds name. For example, a Google search on "General Electric stock prices" brings up the following page:  https://www.google.com/search?q=General+Electric+Stock+Price&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:...

Clicking on the yahoo stock prices (the second item) brings up this:  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=GE

Changing the start and stop dates to 12/21/2002 tells me the stock price on that date was a high of $26.00/share and a low of $25.95/per share.

maglib
Level 11

often the mutual fund can help you.... I had a mutual fund send me 20 years of data that I had to go through once.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

RARICH,,,

I am in a similar situation.  Several funds now delisted ... no symbol to search firm changes/exchanges...  Contacted different companies, Nobody has records for 1996 values.  DID you sort out what IRS will except for cost basis?  Appreciate any guidance.  Hope your situation worked out.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The University of MN has some links for stock research. If you are unable to provide a basis, the IRS considers that you have no basis. Therefore, anything you can find to help substantiate your claim is great.

@Al in Cal 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies