Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NUA (Net Unrealized Appreciation in sale of company stock sold from 401K): the appreciation portion downloaded correctly as LT CG, but how do I report cost basis as OI?

(I sold the stock in the same year that I executed the NUA.).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

NUA (Net Unrealized Appreciation in sale of company stock sold from 401K): the appreciation portion downloaded correctly as LT CG, but how do I report cost basis as OI?

RESOLVED (on my own).  It turns out there were two additional mysterious 1099-R's that I would never have known existed!  I will explain since someone else might have the same issue.  I left the employer decades ago, so I no longer get W2's or any documents from them.  The employer happens to use the same brokerage firm I use myself, so I log on to my brokerage for everything, including when I used to have the 401k.  My brokerage did NOT include these two 1099-R's from the 401K in their tax doc list and did NOT include them in their downloads direct into turbotax (probably because they are from the "institutional"/workplace arm of the brokerage, and should be linked but are not?).  No paper copies of ANY 1099's were sent to me since I have e-delivery.  Net:  I would not have known there were two more 1099-R's if I had not accessed the "employer" portion of the brokerage website and navigated to my former zero-balance 401K and searched for tax document pdf's on that particular old account.  The data does not import directly into turbotax so I had to key it in from the pdf's.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies