Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

John-G3

Net Loss on Rental Properties in Different States: Do I have to file state taxes?

I own rental property in Michigan, North Carolina, and Virginia.  I am a resident of Alabama (active duty military).  I had a net loss per my federal taxes on the VA and NC properties, and net zero on the MI property.  Do I have to file state taxes in VA, MI, and NC?  I am filing "married filing separately" in Alabama.  My wife is a resident of VA, so she will be filing "married filing separately" in VA.  She does not own any part of any of the properties, so she will not claim any rental real estate.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndyM

Net Loss on Rental Properties in Different States: Do I have to file state taxes?

Yes. You have to file in each state in which you own rental properties.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AndyM

Yes. You have to file in each state in which you own rental properties.

jatoc

Hi, where did you enter the loss in your VA state return? i am in a similar situation with a rental property in VA but do not live there. Seems like screens are different than last year so trying to understand where to enter the loss when doing VA state taxes. is it under "Non resident income allocation" screen?

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies