Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

michael15

My startup company got acquired last week. I’ll get ~ 300K (2017 taxable event). What are things I can / should do to limit my tax hit? (Gifts, other?)

My wife and I file jointly.  We live in California.  Our AGI for 2016 was $230,000.  AGI for 2017 will be similar.  I've held stock in the company since it was founded in 2006.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My startup company got acquired last week. I’ll get ~ 300K (2017 taxable event). What are things I can / should do to limit my tax hit? (Gifts, other?)

Answered in comments.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

How much is your GAIN?
michael15

Hi SweetieJean.  We initially calculated the payout to be ~ 300K.  (Stocks were initially worth $0.0001 per share, so nearly all of that will be GAIN).  Even if my numbers are off somewhat, we'll have a big long-term capital gains hit.  

So my core question is:
What types of things can I do to limit / offset this tax hit?  
Of those options, what do I need to do before the end of the year?*

*I'm assuming I'll have to move quick and do some things before the end of 2017 (like gifting or inheritance to our son, etc)...

So your total 2017 income will be approx $260k + $300k = $560k?

Maxing out your retirement contributions and charitable donations are the main things you can do to reduce your total income tax.

Contributing to a HSA (if you qualify) is good.  In some cases paying your 2017 4th quarter State Estimated Tax payment and pre-paying your 2018 Real Estate taxes may help.

Gifts to Individuals, such as your son, are not tax deductible.

Also be aware that itemized deductions phaseout at that income level.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2017/04/05/taxes-from-a-to-z-2017-p-is-for-pease-limit...>
And see:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/net-investment-income-tax-faqs">https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/net-invest...>

Answered in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies