Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rosadelm

My 90 yr old mom got a huge increase in 1099-DIV “distributed capital gains” and now has a large unexpected tax bill.Can this be avoided, because the fund also drops too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

My 90 yr old mom got a huge increase in 1099-DIV “distributed capital gains” and now has a large unexpected tax bill.Can this be avoided, because the fund also drops too?

No, the income reported to her has to be reported to the IRS. The fund may drop but the administrators of the fund take everything into account when they calculate your gains.

look at her statement you will see her fund value did not drop.

the only drop in value will come if you liquidate some shares to pay her income tax.

"the only drop in value will come if you liquidate some shares..." is not true.

It's entirely possible, and not all that uncommon to see large capital gains distributions, in particular, and a drop in the market value of investments.   I imagine this is what you're seeing.  

The dividends and capital gains distributions (which occur because capital gains were realized within the fund) are income in the year they are declared, even if they are reinvested in the funds.  And even if the market value of those funds decreases (and the funds continue to be held.)

The loss in market value of the funds/shares is not deductible until realized by the shareholder through a liquidation or sale. 

Often, when capital gains distributions are high due to a large sell-off within a mutual fund, there is also a dip in the market value of the fund itself.   Hopefully the amount of the dividends and capital gains distributions is equal to or more than the loss in market value (but if they were reinvested, and the value is still down, then we know that's not the case.) 

It's too late now to sell while the fund is depressed for a loss to offset any of those gains -but that's not an ideal strategy anyway. 

This is never fun, but at its the nature of those types of investments. 

If your mother has a financial advisor - talk to him or her about more tax efficient investments for your mother.  There are plenty out there!

@SDun12   @rosadelm 

I suppose I  should have added, all else being equal.

Disregard day-to-day fluctuations in your NAV of your mutual fund.

If you have a big tax bill how else are you going to pay it besides selling some shares in the fund ?

The fund is not depressed ;  NAV goes down when you get a capital gains distribution. This is normal.

@rosadelm 

You don't even say whether your mom is reinvesting capital gains.

This is usually the case but is optional.

If you don't reinvest, the cash goes into her account and can be used to pay income tax and  for other purposes, like living.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies