turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TTNewbie

How to allocate 100% of rent reduction to myself for the Massachusetts tax return?

I am filing as married filing separately. My spouse is non-resident alien living separately from me abroad and has no U.S. based income. For Massachusetts tax return, I want to have 100% of the deduction amount, that is, $3000. Turbotax only takes half of the maximum rent deduction, even though I have answered the question of whether I am living with my spouse. How can I make the change of rent deduction within the software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to allocate 100% of rent reduction to myself for the Massachusetts tax return?

MA DOR has this to say about the rent deduction if married filing separately:

"Married filing separate taxpayers are limited to a rent deduction equal to 50% of the rent each pays, not to exceed $1,500 per return. However, a married couple filing separate may allocate the rent deduction differently (1) provided the amount taken by each spouse does not exceed 50% of the rent actually paid by that spouse, and (2) provided their combined rent deduction does not exceed $3,000.

The spouse claiming a deduction in excess of $1,500 must attach to his/her return a statement signed by the other spouse giving consent to the allocation. The statement must list the name, address, social security number of the consenting spouse and the amount of rental deduction taken by that spouse."

It's probably safe to say that TurboTax does not handle this special case.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

MA DOR has this to say about the rent deduction if married filing separately:

"Married filing separate taxpayers are limited to a rent deduction equal to 50% of the rent each pays, not to exceed $1,500 per return. However, a married couple filing separate may allocate the rent deduction differently (1) provided the amount taken by each spouse does not exceed 50% of the rent actually paid by that spouse, and (2) provided their combined rent deduction does not exceed $3,000.

The spouse claiming a deduction in excess of $1,500 must attach to his/her return a statement signed by the other spouse giving consent to the allocation. The statement must list the name, address, social security number of the consenting spouse and the amount of rental deduction taken by that spouse."

It's probably safe to say that TurboTax does not handle this special case.

k-gen
Returning Member

I am in the same situation. Did you find a solution? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies