turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you enter indirect rental expenses on schedule E for expenses that relate to all of the properties?

I tried to put the expenses on a separate schedule E but the program needs rental property description, address, etc.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

How do you enter indirect rental expenses on schedule E for expenses that relate to all of the properties?

If you have a single expense that is related to multiple rental properties included on your return, you will need to prorate the expense and enter a portion of it under each property.  There is not a way to enter it one time and distribute it among multiple properties. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

If you have a single expense that is related to multiple rental properties included on your return, you will need to prorate the expense and enter a portion of it under each property.  There is not a way to enter it one time and distribute it among multiple properties. 

Thank you for your answer. That is how I have always done it in the past, but I just reviewed a past return from someone and they actually listed the expenses in one of the columns on Schedule E without listing any Rental to go with it. The expense just flowed to the summary schedule E.  I thought maybe there was a way to do that within the program other than going to the schedule directly and forcing it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies