turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I deduct inspection cost for my rental property? Where should I enter in turbo tax? I bought the property in 2017

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do I deduct inspection cost for my rental property? Where should I enter in turbo tax? I bought the property in 2017

If the inspection cost is incurred to get the property ready for rental, it is not deductible as a rental expense.

If the inspection is incurred while the property was already on the rental market, it is deductible as a rental expense (under Professional Fees).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was the inspection for purchasing the property. Can I enter as the depreciation?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You add this cost to the cost basis of your property to be depreciated.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

where does this cost and others get entered in TurboTax Home & Business, along with rental home search expenses

I think it goes to "Any other adjustments?", "Enter any other increases and decreases to you property's value"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies