turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I received payment from my renters insurance due to a fire in my apartment building that happened in February, how will that affect my tax return?

A fire that happened in February destroyed my apartment and all of my possessions. Thankfully renters insurance covered nearly everything that I lost. However I'm just curious if the payments I received from my renters insurance will affect my tax refund and how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If I received payment from my renters insurance due to a fire in my apartment building that happened in February, how will that affect my tax return?

Your settlement is only taxable if it was more than your original cost for the destroyed items.  As long as that is not the case, you don't even have to report it.  If you had replacement cost coverage that did pay you more than the original purchase price of your items, the difference is taxable.  You may need to do some work to figure that out and document it.

Please help on this issue . My claim value was around 13000 but since my limit was 8000 so renters insurance just paid me 8000.

@Amjain241114 

Unfortunately,  the tax laws that went into effect for 2018 and beyond say that you cannot deduct a casualty loss on your federal return, even though your insurance did not cover your entire loss.  Sorry.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So do I need to report this 10000 in income which I got from insurance company

@Amjain241114 No the insurance you received was less than the amount of your claim.  It is not taxable income and does not go on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

So do I need to report this 10000 in income which I got from insurance company

Generally, no. But that's "GENERALLY".  If the insurance company does not send you any type of tax reporting document then you don't report anything on any tax return.

If you do get a tax reporting document, then you are required by law to report that income. However, you will work it through the "casualty and thefts" section under the Deductions and Credits tab. You'll report/claim your losses along with the insurance payout there. That way, the payout will not be taxed. But unfortunately, the excess loss the insurance did not cover will not be deductible either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies