Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I loss money this year and made no profit, I stocks. Do I still report annd pay taxes and if so how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I loss money this year and made no profit, I stocks. Do I still report annd pay taxes and if so how?

Did you have sales?  You have to report sales.  You should get a 1099B for it.  You need to enter the sales price and your cost so the IRS will know if you have a Gain or a Loss.  You can deduct a net loss on your tax return up to 3,000 (1,500 for MFS).  The rest of the loss you can carry over to next year.  You will need to upgrade to Online Premium to enter sales.  

Enter a 1099 B under
Federal Taxes on left or Personal (Home & Business)
Wages & Income
Then scroll down to Investments and Savings
Then Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B) - click Start
Then click Add Investments at the bottom
Next screen hit Continue

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

If you have an overall net capital loss for the year, you can deduct up to $3,000 of that loss against other kinds of income, including your salary and interest income.

Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. Search for investment sales and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you have investment income in 2023?
    • If you land on the Your investments and savings screen, select Add investments.
  4. Follow the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

Your total capital gains for the year minus your total capital losses result in a net gain or a net loss.

You can deduct a net loss of up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). Any capital loss you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns as a capital loss carryover.

TurboTax FAQ: Where do I enter capital gain or loss?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies