Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a capital loss of more then $3000 does turbotax is there anything specific I must do to ensure I only deduct the allowable $3000 or is this done automatically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If I have a capital loss of more then $3000 does turbotax is there anything specific I must do to ensure I only deduct the allowable $3000 or is this done automatically?

If you have capital losses of more than $3,000, TurboTax will automatically deduct $3,000 from your ordinary income and carry forward the balance. You do not need to do anything.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you have capital losses of more than $3,000, TurboTax will automatically deduct $3,000 from your ordinary income and carry forward the balance. You do not need to do anything.

Appreciate the response, So the amount it will carry forward is automatically carried over to next year? I don't have to keep track of these numbers myself?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you use TurboTax in 2019 and transfer your 2018 tax return, the balance will be carried over.

Thank you for your help!
AREG34
Returning Member

mandoSD49

What if you want to use more then 3k  of the losses,  say I have 40k capital stock losses

turbo tax automatically only  used 3 and is carrying over the other 37k,   How do I  deduct more then 3k for my losses ?     My current balance due to Federal is like 5k,   I want to reduce that by using my captial losses 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.   My current balance due to Federal is like 5k,   I want to reduce that by using my capital losses  How do I  deduct more then 3k for my losses ?    

A. You can't. It's not allowed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies