Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

Jfresh20

If I have a capital loss of more then $3000 does turbotax is there anything specific I must do to ensure I only deduct the allowable $3000 or is this done automatically?

MinhT

If you have capital losses of more than $3,000, TurboTax will automatically deduct $3,000 from your ordinary income and carry forward the balance. You do not need to do anything.

MinhT

Jfresh20

Appreciate the response, So the amount it will carry forward is automatically carried over to next year? I don't have to keep track of these numbers myself?
MinhT

If you use TurboTax in 2019 and transfer your 2018 tax return, the balance will be carried over.
Jfresh20

Thank you for your help!
AREG34

mandoSD49

What if you want to use more then 3k  of the losses,  say I have 40k capital stock losses

turbo tax automatically only  used 3 and is carrying over the other 37k,   How do I  deduct more then 3k for my losses ?     My current balance due to Federal is like 5k,   I want to reduce that by using my captial losses 

Hal_Al

Q.   My current balance due to Federal is like 5k,   I want to reduce that by using my capital losses  How do I  deduct more then 3k for my losses ?    

A. You can't. It's not allowed. 

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~