turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ckamhamel

What happens to the depreciation taken on a rental home if I decide to execute a note with a buyer? Do I pay? Is it transferred to the new buyer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

What happens to the depreciation taken on a rental home if I decide to execute a note with a buyer? Do I pay? Is it transferred to the new buyer?

If I am understanding properly, you are wondering what happens to the depreciation that you deducted on a rental property after you enter into a sale agreement with a note to a buyer. (Are you selling the rental property under an installment agreement?)

The depreciation that you deducted is recaptured as part of the capital gain (if any) from the sale agreement. Assuming the sale is proceeding under an installment agreement, your gain and the depreciation recapture will have a portion taxed each year throughout the life of the installment agreement. 

The buyer will start their own depreciation on the home which they will need to recapture when they sale the home later on.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

If I am understanding properly, you are wondering what happens to the depreciation that you deducted on a rental property after you enter into a sale agreement with a note to a buyer. (Are you selling the rental property under an installment agreement?)

The depreciation that you deducted is recaptured as part of the capital gain (if any) from the sale agreement. Assuming the sale is proceeding under an installment agreement, your gain and the depreciation recapture will have a portion taxed each year throughout the life of the installment agreement. 

The buyer will start their own depreciation on the home which they will need to recapture when they sale the home later on.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies