turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abricasmk

First time claiming Luis and issac their father claims them every year but they live with me Monday through Friday I pay all their expenses food school etc

We told their father that he could not claim them any more but what if he already did what can I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KristiK1

First time claiming Luis and issac their father claims them every year but they live with me Monday through Friday I pay all their expenses food school etc

If he already did, you won't be able to efile your return. You'll need to print out your return and file by mail. The IRS will then help you two sort out who is allowed to claim the dependent(s). 

Here is some more information on that process, including timing and eligibility rules: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899162-what-if-somebody-already-claimed-my-dependent

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KristiK1

If he already did, you won't be able to efile your return. You'll need to print out your return and file by mail. The IRS will then help you two sort out who is allowed to claim the dependent(s). 

Here is some more information on that process, including timing and eligibility rules: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899162-what-if-somebody-already-claimed-my-dependent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies