Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cooley88

I was penalized by SC for using my rental home in VA for deductions. I followed Turbo tax but don't want this to happen again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I was penalized by SC for using my rental home in VA for deductions. I followed Turbo tax but don't want this to happen again.

When you have a rental property that is located in a state other than SC that generates a loss (and therefore a reduction in your taxable income), you must make an adjustment on your SC return to compensate for the loss. 

When you are working through your SC return, look for the screen titled “Here’s the income that South Carolina handles differently” and scroll down to the section labeled Misc.  Click Start or Revisit beside the Out-of-State Losses section to enter your information.

Click on the thumbnail pictures below for a visual reference.

cooley88

why wouldn't Turbo Tax already do this for me? I had to pay back $500 in late fees from 2013!!!
cooley88

I've entered the same info for every year since. If I get audited again I will owe for every year since 2013
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies