I was penalized by SC for using my rental home in VA for deductions. I followed Turbo tax but don't want this to happen again.

cooley88

AnnetteB

When you have a rental property that is located in a state other than SC that generates a loss (and therefore a reduction in your taxable income), you must make an adjustment on your SC return to compensate for the loss. 

When you are working through your SC return, look for the screen titled “Here’s the income that South Carolina handles differently” and scroll down to the section labeled Misc.  Click Start or Revisit beside the Out-of-State Losses section to enter your information.

Click on the thumbnail pictures below for a visual reference.

cooley88

why wouldn't Turbo Tax already do this for me? I had to pay back $500 in late fees from 2013!!!
cooley88

I've entered the same info for every year since. If I get audited again I will owe for every year since 2013