turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sdalmiya

I was on F1 student visa in 2016 and wanted to know if I can file 1040 NR using turbo tax. I also have HSA, ESPP stocks, 1099B, 1099DIV and Roth 401K

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I was on F1 student visa in 2016 and wanted to know if I can file 1040 NR using turbo tax. I also have HSA, ESPP stocks, 1099B, 1099DIV and Roth 401K

No, TurboTax can not file a 1040NR.

Nonresident Aliens (such as those on a F-1 visa that has lived in the US for 5 or less calendar years) should probably go to a tax professional that is EXPERIENCED with Nonresident Aliens.

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

In addition to what TaxGuyBill said, as TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR, you are advised to use our partner, Sprintax to complete your filing. 

sdalmiya

Thanks. I was on F1-OPT Visa from January 1 to September 30, 2016. I started working on H1B visa starting from October 1, 2016. Since I do not meet the Sustantial Presence Test, I tried to file 1040 NR using Sprintax. However, sprintax doesn't allow me to enter information like Roth 401K, HSA etc. Can you please help with that?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You will need to contact them by going to <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.sprintax.com/contact-us.html">https://www.sprintax.com/contact-us.html</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies