`

I am an international student on an F-1 visa and was in California for all of 2018 and paid rent for all 12 months in 2018. Can I claim the California renter's credit?

I see no reason why you can't. The qualifications are listed below. Just remember, you have to have a California tax liability because it is a nonrefundable credit.

Qualifications

You must meet all of the following to qualify:

1. You were a California resident for the entire year.
  2. Your California adjusted gross income (AGI) is:
    • $41,641 or less if your filing status is single or married/RDP filing separately.
    • $83,282 or less if you are married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er).
  3. You paid rent for at least half the year for property in California that was your principal residence.
  4. The property you rented was not exempt from California property tax.
  5. You did not live with another person for more than half the year (such as a parent) who claimed you as a dependent.
  6. You were not a minor living with and under the care of a parent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
  7. You or your spouse/RDP were not granted a homeowner's property tax exemption during the tax year.
    • You may still qualify for the credit if your spouse/RDP claimed a homeowner's exemption and you maintained a separate residence for the entire year.
Credit amount
  • $60 for single or married/RDP filing separately
  • $120 for head of household, widow(er), married/RDP filing jointly

Qualifications

Credit amount

I was confused whether international students on F-1 visas qualify as "California residents"