LizinNC

I ran an airbnb (under my SSN) for part of last year. The profits were shared with the homeowner and another person. Do I need to issue 1099-MISCs or 1099-NECs?

SamS1

Yes.  Payments made to individuals in the course of a trade or business greater than $600 need to be reported on the 1099-Misc or the 1099-NEC.  Real estate agents or property managers must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner.  In your scenario, if the other person is a maintenance or cleaning person, you should issue a 1099-NEC.  The amounts paid the property owner would be shown as rents on the 1099-MISC.  Again, if the amounts paid are less than $600, then no 1099 would need to issued.

HERE is a good link to an article on reporting AirBnB income

Click HERE for information on completing your 1099 forms through TurboTax Quick Employer Forms.

That’s complicated. If you were in a partnership, then technically the partnership must file a separate partnership return form 1065. This requires the use of a program called TurboTax business, which is separate from the personal version and is only available as a CD or download to install on your own computer; it is not available online or for the Macintosh. As part of filing the 1065, you will issue a K-1 statement to each partner and that goes on each partner’s personal tax return to report share of income and expenses.

If you are running a property management service as a sole proprietorship, and you paid rent to the homeowner and fees to a person who was clearly your subordinate or subcontractor, the above procedure may be correct as well.  Did you run the business together or was it your business with subordinates?