• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LizinNC
Level 1

I ran an airbnb (under my SSN) for part of last year. The profits were shared with the homeowner and another person. Do I need to issue 1099-MISCs or 1099-NECs?

2 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

I ran an airbnb (under my SSN) for part of last year. The profits were shared with the homeowner and another person. Do I need to issue 1099-MISCs or 1099-NECs?

Yes.  Payments made to individuals in the course of a trade or business greater than $600 need to be reported on the 1099-Misc or the 1099-NEC.  Real estate agents or property managers must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner.  In your scenario, if the other person is a maintenance or cleaning person, you should issue a 1099-NEC.  The amounts paid the property owner would be shown as rents on the 1099-MISC.  Again, if the amounts paid are less than $600, then no 1099 would need to issued.

HERE is a good link to an article on reporting AirBnB income

Click HERE for information on completing your 1099 forms through TurboTax Quick Employer Forms.

Opus 17
Level 15

That’s complicated. If you were in a partnership, then technically the partnership must file a separate partnership return form 1065. This requires the use of a program called TurboTax business, which is separate from the personal version and is only available as a CD or download to install on your own computer; it is not available online or for the Macintosh. As part of filing the 1065, you will issue a K-1 statement to each partner and that goes on each partner’s personal tax return to report share of income and expenses.

If you are running a property management service as a sole proprietorship, and you paid rent to the homeowner and fees to a person who was clearly your subordinate or subcontractor, the above procedure may be correct as well.  Did you run the business together or was it your business with subordinates?

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v