thefalconry

I purchased during 2017 class A shares in the company I work for. The company gave me a loan to purchase the shares. May I deduct the interest on this note receivable?

ToddL

Yes, you can deduct the interest expense on a loan used to purchase stock.

To enter your investment interest expense in TurboTax Online (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here , then select "Take Me to My Return") or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab 
  2. Next click on “Deductions & Credits” 
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on” 
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Retirement and Investments”
  5. Choose "show more", then Investment Interest Expenses and follow the onscreen instructions

ToddL

2. Next click on “Deductions & Credits”