Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to pay CA state income tax on stock options' proceeds (Non-Qual Stock Options Plan from CA employer) if I live in FL?

On the last quarter of 2015 I retired and moved from CA to FL (still live in FL). I received a W2 from my previous employer reflecting the proceeds from stock options I exercised during 2016. This W2 shows Fed. Inc. Tax withheld as well as CA's state income tax. I'm curious about why the latter and if there is any way to get CA's taxes reimbursed. Thanks.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to pay CA state income tax on stock options' proceeds (Non-Qual Stock Options Plan from CA employer) if I live in FL?

The "compensation element" of your exercise might be taxable by CA.  The various actions available to you when you exercise NQ stock options can be complex.  See the excellent TurboTax FAQ on the subject at:
   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Investments-and-Taxes/Non-Qualified-Stock-Options/INF...

If not taxable, then you would have to file a non-resident CA tax return to recover the CA income tax withholding.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The "compensation element" of your exercise might be taxable by CA.  The various actions available to you when you exercise NQ stock options can be complex.  See the excellent TurboTax FAQ on the subject at:
   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Investments-and-Taxes/Non-Qualified-Stock-Options/INF...

If not taxable, then you would have to file a non-resident CA tax return to recover the CA income tax withholding.

Thanks for the prompt answer. Very clear. Do I still have to file in CA, or Federal and FL should suffice?

Sorry, what is not clear from the answer provided is if I have to pay state income tax in CA if I live now in FL (no state income tax). And if I don't have to pay in CA, how do I recover what was deducted on my W2?

I'm sorry, too.  I belatedly added an additional line to my answer, above.  To recover CA income tax withheld you would have to file a non-resident CA income tax return.  In the non-resident tax return, you delineate what income was received when, versus when not, a CA resident.

OK. Thanks for your help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies