Solved: I'm assuming that you're the landlord and report t...

Get the latest tax filing updates.

I paid $3000 out of my business account to the defendant as part of a small claims court settlement against my rental property for water and mold damage to personal items can I write this off? If so, using what form?

Also, do I need to report the individual's name and payment amount to the IRS?

Alumni
Alumni

I'm assuming that you're the landlord and report the rental income on Schedule E.

That would be a deductible expense on Schedule E where you would report your rental income.  A category such as repairs would be appropriate.

Alumni
Alumni