Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nr1jdurh

I have rental income in 3 different states

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you have rental income in three different states, then you may be required to file three different state tax returns.  If a property generates a profit, then you will need to report that profit on the state return for the property's location.  If that is your only income in that state, then the state's filing requirements will have to be considered in order to know whether a return is required.  

If a property does not generate a profit, then a state tax return for that property would not be required because you would be reporting negative income.

All rental properties will be reported on your Federal return and Schedule E will show a breakdown for each property to see if there is a profit or a loss.  

Please reply with more information if this is not what you wanted to ask.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

State filing requirements vary:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/need-file-state-return/L446Rv...

I have to file in two states. One (VA) only requires that I file if I show a profit. The other (VT) requires me to file just for receiving rent (gross income), whether I show a profit or not. 

Carl
Level 15

You'll have to check filing requirements for each state. For example, Hawaii requires you to file because you have to pay a state General Excise Tax (GET) on the "gross" rental income received. Doesn't matter if you make a profit or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies