turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have expenses related only to the rental of my property, but TT keeps reducing the amount. How can I fix that?

I rented my entire home for one month and listed only the expenses related to that month.  But TT seems to be prorating the expenses based on the other months that I lived in my home.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I have expenses related only to the rental of my property, but TT keeps reducing the amount. How can I fix that?

When you are entering in the expenses (i.e. utilities, etc) for the rental property you would enter in the total amount for the year, and then the program prorates it based on the number of days it was rented. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The expenses I enter are only for the actual period that I rented the property - they are not for the year.  But yet TT keeps prorating.  How do I stop it from doing that??

My expenses for the months that I lived in my home (outside the rental period) are not applicable to the rental  The rental expenses are distinct and verifiable as related to the rental only.
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes, but in order for Turbo Tax to calculate the expenses related to the rental, you enter in the yearly total for the expenses, and then Turbo Tax takes that and the percentage that the home was used as a rental (days rented/days in year) and does the calculation and enters in the correct amounts.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But my expenses are not yearly.  They are specific to the one-month rental period.  I do not want to allocate the expenses I incurred personally to the rental period because that would not be appropriate.  And expenses I had specifically for the rental period are not expenses I had for myself personally during the time I lived in the property, eg., maintenance expenses such as garden care and pool care.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies