• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brentsayler

I have a rental property where I am a 50% owner. How do I denote that? I am not eligible to take all of the losses on Schedule E, just half of that.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I have a rental property where I am a 50% owner. How do I denote that? I am not eligible to take all of the losses on Schedule E, just half of that.

When you set up your Rental Property in the Property Profile, you can indicate your % of Ownership (screenshot). 

TurboTax will calculate your % of income and expenses (screenshot). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
brentsayler

Is there a way for me to go back and edit my percentage in the rental property?

brentsayler

I also live in the property as well. My brother and I purchased the property together 50% ownership each. I need to denote that I am 50% owner and expense 66.7% of MY expenses.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You will have to calculate your 50% of Mortgage Interest and Property Tax and enter those amounts in the Rental Expenses area. 

For other expenses, if you indicate that you are renting 66.7% of your home, TurboTax will calculate that % (Utilities, for example) as Rental Expense. 

Click this link for more info Renting Part of Your Home. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v