yixin1996

I have a federal capital loss carryover and am filing in California. What do I put in California capital loss carryover (AMT vs not)?

JohnB5677

California does generally follow the federal treatment of capital loss carryovers.  However, it does not  allow capital loss carrybacks.

So as long as you didn't do a carryback, California losses will match the Federal.

JohnB5677

arrowhead44

So when the Turbo Tax program directs me, a full-time California resident, to insert the amount of my California capital loss carryforward for tax year 2019, should I be inserting the same amount as my federal capital loss carryforward?

JohnB5677

The amounts may not match.  You should pull out your previous years' California returns and look at the Schedule D line 6 for the carryover.

statusquo

@JohnB5677 wrote:

@JohnB5677,

So if I follow the conversation correctly, previous year's return would be in 2018 for user arrowhead44. Isn't line 6 in Schedule D shows the previous year before 2018? 

I'm seeing line 6 for tax year 2018 as:

California capital loss carryover from 2017 if any

So clearly line 6 is not the right one to show the carryover information for 2019 tax year. I do see the carryover for 2018 in the California Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet under California tax. You have to view the forms on the top left corner (if you are using the desktop version).

Other than that, do you know why California and Federal have different carry over for capital loss (stocks)?