turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a capital loss on my state tax return from 2020. No loss was reported on my federal return. How can I apply the loss to my 2021 state tax return only?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I have a capital loss on my state tax return from 2020. No loss was reported on my federal return. How can I apply the loss to my 2021 state tax return only?

If a state treats capital gains differently from the federal government – or has special exceptions – TurboTax will have a place to include a state loss carry forward.

I can't be more specific because you don't mention what state you are asking about.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am trying to carry over the loss from my 2020 Part-Year resident Hawaii State tax return. 

Capital gains/loss are not treated differently for Hawaii, the loss is due to the fact that a Part Year resident return was filed in the previous year. My Federal return for 2020 had no capital loss reported.

TurboTax doesn't appear to have a place to add this loss to my 2021 HI resident return.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Please clarify. From the information above, is the loss being carried over to your HI return or not? 

You state, "The loss was carried over from my 2020 Part-Year resident Hawaii State tax return" then you later state, "TurboTax doesn't appear to have a place to add this loss to my 2021 HI resident return."

Hello, no I have not yet found a way to carry over the loss to my HI state return only

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Are you filing a resident or non-resident return? A resident return uses federal adjusted gross income so the state capital losses should be the same as federal, hence no state only carryover.

If you are filing a non-resident return, there is a screen called Capital Gains which asks whether you had short-term or long-term capital loss carryovers for 2020.

I am filing a HI resident return for 2021; however, in 2020 I filed a part-year resident return (hence the loss attributed to only my 2020 part year resident HI return).

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@jujeehoon   You mentioned in previous posts that in 2020 you were a part-year HI resident and as a part-year resident you were not able to deduct the full amount of your carryover loss.  Additionally, you now want to deduct on your HI 2021 return that carryover loss that you could not fully deduct in 2020.  

Because you were a part-year HI resident in 2020, that implies that you were a part-resident in at least one other state in 2020.  Have you determined whether you deducted any part of the carryover loss on the return(s) for the other state(s) in which you resided during 2020?  You might want to review your prior year state return(s) to make sure that carryover loss has not already been taken.  

This response doesn't have anything to do with my question--just because one is a part year resident in one state, that does not mean they are also a part-year resident in another state.

Regardless if the carryover was already taken or now--the question is about turbotax not allowing the option to carryover the loss on my 2021 full year HI resident return. (from @ErnieS0's previous response, this can only be added on a part year resident/non-resident return and NOT on a regular resident return) 

2020 -- part year HI resident return was filed (capital loss was reported for the period of residency on HI state return; however, capital gain was reported on Federal return for 2020, thus, no carryover for 2021 on federal return)

2021 -- full-year resident return needs to be filed (capital loss carryover cannot be manually added to state return only)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies