turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bob118

I have a capital loss carryover that I don't need to use. TurboTax populated the same value for 2019 as 2018. Does that mean it didn't use the $3000 loss last year?

I've been told by TurboTax that (1) I must reduce CLC by $3,000 each year, and (2) that I don't, if I don't use it. Which is correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have a capital loss carryover that I don't need to use. TurboTax populated the same value for 2019 as 2018. Does that mean it didn't use the $3000 loss last year?

OK ... it can be a hard concept to understand but you MUST enter the $3000 loss on the tax return HOWEVER   when the carryover amount is calculated it takes the fact that you could not use it and that $3000 is put back into the carryover amount.  REVIEW the calculation worksheet to see how this happens.  

As Critter pointed out, it must be used if it is ALLOWED to be used.  But if you have negative income (after some calculations), it is not allowed to be used so it all be carried forward.

Carl
Level 15

If you have the income to use it against, then you use it, or lose it. Permanently and forever.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. It's possible that you did not use any of your capital loss on your 2018 return and the full amount carried forward to 2019.  It's also possible to use some amount  less than $3000.  Either can occur if your taxable income is 0.

Technically, if your standard (or itemized) deduction is greater than your AGI, without capital loss, then all the capital loss is carried forward. 

TurboTax can handle it and will prepare a "Capital loss carry forward worksheet" to show  how much of your capital loss that will be carried forward to the next year.  Your 2018 return should have this work sheet. 

For more, see a similar question at 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/on-2018-i-had-0-incom...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies