turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

phattrye

I had 2 rentals, 1 with gain, 1 with passive loss. I occupied the 2nd. Can I use passive loss carryover from home I moved into to offset gain from rental or K1 income.

I currently have passive losses from a rental property that I ultimately moved into, and would like to know if I can use those to offset current and future gains arising from my remaining rental property and from K1 income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I had 2 rentals, 1 with gain, 1 with passive loss. I occupied the 2nd. Can I use passive loss carryover from home I moved into to offset gain from rental or K1 income.

Yes, you will be able to use your passive loss carryover against other passive income reported on your Schedule E.

Your passive loss carryover from Property A will be shown on your Schedule E, and your passive gain from Property B, will be netted for Total Rental Real Estate Income (or Loss) on Line 26

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4026913

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i have a passive loss from rental last two years and are carried over. i also have loss this year.

1. can i use safe harbor to convert passive to real loss of all those years

2. i have a K1 from different activity . can i offset loss from rental property against it.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can apply passive loss carryovers from previous and the current year to passive income from another activity. So, "yes" to question 2, assuming the other K-1 is from a passive activity.

For question 1, you can only deduct the passive losses when you fully dispose of the activity in a taxable transaction with an unrelated party, or you have income from other passive activities to apply it to. 

For rental properties, however, you can deduct up to $25,000 of losses in the current year against ordinary income, but there is a phase out of this deduction starting at income of $100,000 and is totally phased out at income of $150,000. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies