turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cnew45

I cashed in some savings bonds on December 2015 with Chase Bank. I am trying to figure out how to report this, but Chase has not sent me any forms or documentation.

How should I put this information into Turbo Tax? It is very tedious and confusing to do this manually.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I cashed in some savings bonds on December 2015 with Chase Bank. I am trying to figure out how to report this, but Chase has not sent me any forms or documentation.

You need to get the 1099-INT form from Chase.

(Note:  I suspect this is an old post from the 2015 tax season in Jan-April of 2016).

In the 2015 software, Create your own 1099-INT form as coming from the "US Treasury"

Put the interest received on the bonds in box 3 of that 1099-INT.

1) if they were all EE bonds.   Subtract half the face value from the total proceeds....that is the interest received.

2)  If they were all I-bonds.   Subtract the face value from the total proceeds...that is the interest received.

3)  If they were a mix of I- and EE-bonds....you've got a problem if you haven't kept detailed track your self....talk to someone at the Chase branch you dealt with.  Maybe they send the 1099-INT to the wrong address, and you can get a copy there.....if at a branch you are no longer close to...find any Chase branch and talk to the staff there. They may have computer access to those details.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies