turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddranalli

I am reporting the sale of vested RSUs (company stock) received from my employer. Deluxe asks "Did you buy this stock?" No available answer applies. How do I answer?

There is no answer from the list of available selections that applies to stock granted as RSUs from an employer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am reporting the sale of vested RSUs (company stock) received from my employer. Deluxe asks "Did you buy this stock?" No available answer applies. How do I answer?

I'm guessing here, but I expect that the problem is that "Deluxe" doesn't have the interview prompts for "employee stock incentive" programs and that's why you're not seeing that option.  (TurboTax want you to upgrade to "Premier".)

But if you know your basis for the stock - the per share basis is the same as the per share "fair market value" used by your employer to calculate the compensation on the GROSS number of shares that vested - simply tell TurboTax that you bought the stock on the date the RSUs vested at a price of (# of shares sold) x (per share "fmv") and all's good.

There is absolutely NO "income tax return reporting" reason to need to use the RSU "guide me step by step" interview.  NOTHING on Form 8949 - where stock sales are listed out - indicates HOW you happened to acquire the stock.  And you literally DID buy that stock on that date; you were simply paid "in stock" instead of "in cash" for your efforts on behalf of your employer.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I'm guessing here, but I expect that the problem is that "Deluxe" doesn't have the interview prompts for "employee stock incentive" programs and that's why you're not seeing that option.  (TurboTax want you to upgrade to "Premier".)

But if you know your basis for the stock - the per share basis is the same as the per share "fair market value" used by your employer to calculate the compensation on the GROSS number of shares that vested - simply tell TurboTax that you bought the stock on the date the RSUs vested at a price of (# of shares sold) x (per share "fmv") and all's good.

There is absolutely NO "income tax return reporting" reason to need to use the RSU "guide me step by step" interview.  NOTHING on Form 8949 - where stock sales are listed out - indicates HOW you happened to acquire the stock.  And you literally DID buy that stock on that date; you were simply paid "in stock" instead of "in cash" for your efforts on behalf of your employer.

Tom Young

TomD8
Level 15

When you enter your 1099-B information you'll see a button "Guide me step-by-step".  Click that and on the page that opens up you'll see a choice for  "I have sales from an employee stock plan, including...RSU".  Select that choice and proceed from there.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies