turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmpc2189

I am a NJ renter and right now Turbo Tax is calculating my NJ Property Tax Credit as 18% of my total rent paid in 2019. However isn't the max credit $50?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

I am a NJ renter and right now Turbo Tax is calculating my NJ Property Tax Credit as 18% of my total rent paid in 2019. However isn't the max credit $50?

Yes, the maximum credit is $50. I think this may just be a question of where and how the credit is reported on the NJ-1040 tax form.

When you are a renter, 18% of your gross rent paid is considered as property tax paid. This amount shows on line 38a of the NJ-1040 form. The amount of your allowed credit is on line 55, which should be no more than $50. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jmpc21891

I understand that but the turbo tax program is not doing that, it is instead using 18% of my total rent versus capping it at $50. How do I stop turbo tax from incorrectly calculating this?

Turbotax uses the rules to determine whether you get the 18% of rent deduction  OR the 50 dollar credit.

Big difference between a deduction and a credit.

Don't worry, Be happy.

you are entitled to one but not both.

The tax treatment is to use the option that is more favorable to the taxpayer.

jmpc2189

I understand I am not entitled to both but based on the NJ Worksheet the max you are eligible to get is $50, but the way it's currently being calculated on Turbo tax I am getting a credit of MORE than $50. I am worried to submit my return if there is a glitch in the system that lets me deduct more than what the state allows.

No.... $50 is the minimum benefit you will get, not the maximum.

Again you are confusing deductions and credits ... they are not the same.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies