hntrust

How to enter trust capital gains allocation to beneficiary

For a trust, do I input any capital gains that I allocate to income to a beneficiary as a first tier distribution? The trust document and state law allows the trustee to decide how to allocate between income and principal.

tagteam

"For a trust, do I input any capital gains that I allocate to income to a beneficiary as a first tier distribution?"

No, because according to the facts you previously set forth you, as trustee, have the discretion as to whether or not to make distributions of capital gains to a beneficiary.

Firs tier distributions only include income that is required to be distributed currently, whether distributed or not.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm139674712043984

tagteam

hntrust

So if the capital gains distribution is made then it goes under second tier? Does it get carried out as DNI that way?
tagteam

Yes, on both counts.
LizzyG1

For 2019, I distributed dividends, interest, farm income and capital gains to a beneficiary. Only the first three forms of income are appearing in the k-1. How do I get the capital gains to appear on the beneficiary's k-1 as well?

tagteam

@LizzyG1 You need to allocate the gains to income and then distribute those gains to the beneficiary (see screenshots) and note that you need the authority to do so.

Trust Cap Gain1.pngTrust Cap Gain2.pngTrust Cap Gain3.pngTrust Cap Gain4.png

LizzyG1

You could not be more amazing--thank you so much!