Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to answer the Earned/Rec'd from CA source as if CA Nonresident for the entire year if multiple income sources

Question:  I worked for a California-based company part year although I resided in another state for the full year.  During the year, I earned W2-based income from that company, plus RSUs that vested from the company for which I had a capital loss of-$275.00.  I also received income from a rental property I owned in California for the full year.  Due to several deductions, the income from the rental property also showed a loss.

On the California State tax questionnaire, on the Capital Gain or Loss page:

Under Net Gain/Loss as if CA Resident for the Full Year, I entered my capital loss of -$275.

What do I enter for the next question: Earned/Rec'd from CA source as if CA Nonresident for the entire year?

Should I enter W2 income from CA employer + RSU loss + income from California rental property?  (If so would this only be my gross rental receipts or final income showing a loss?)  Or do I only enter my CA W2 income + RSU loss?  Or just the RSU loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How to answer the Earned/Rec'd from CA source as if CA Nonresident for the entire year if multiple income sources

If you resided in another state for 2023, you are not a California Resident. You would file a California Non-Resident Return.

Additionally, it doesn't matter that the company you worked for is a California based company. The source income is dependent on what state you physically worked in.

Your only California source income is from the rental property, everything else will be allocated to the sate you live in.

Once you make this correction, I'm sure that will change your questions. If you need additional help after making these changes, please reach back out.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies