TTNewbie

How to allocate 100% of rent reduction to myself for the Massachusetts tax return?

I am filing as married filing separately. My spouse is non-resident alien living separately from me abroad and has no U.S. based income. For Massachusetts tax return, I want to have 100% of the deduction amount, that is, $3000. Turbotax only takes half of the maximum rent deduction, even though I have answered the question of whether I am living with my spouse. How can I make the change of rent deduction within the software?

linear

MA DOR has this to say about the rent deduction if married filing separately:

"Married filing separate taxpayers are limited to a rent deduction equal to 50% of the rent each pays, not to exceed $1,500 per return. However, a married couple filing separate may allocate the rent deduction differently (1) provided the amount taken by each spouse does not exceed 50% of the rent actually paid by that spouse, and (2) provided their combined rent deduction does not exceed $3,000.

The spouse claiming a deduction in excess of $1,500 must attach to his/her return a statement signed by the other spouse giving consent to the allocation. The statement must list the name, address, social security number of the consenting spouse and the amount of rental deduction taken by that spouse."

It's probably safe to say that TurboTax does not handle this special case.

linear

k-gen

I am in the same situation. Did you find a solution?