Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file schedule E in TurboTax for vacation rental. When I entered box 3 'other income' fr 1099-misc in rental income section, it said can't report income here.

I got a 1099-misc from the property management company for a vacation rental I received as passive income (I am not involved in the day-to-day rental).  The income is listed in box 3.  When I am in TurboTax (home and business version) under Rental Income section, every time I tried to enter the income in box3 from 1099-misc, it says 'Can't report this income here' (screen shot attached).  But there isn't any interview later that would allow me to file this as schedule E as it kept putting this income under schedule C, and requires lot more info like business code, etc. when I don't have a business in getting this rental income.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

How do I file schedule E in TurboTax for vacation rental. When I entered box 3 'other income' fr 1099-misc in rental income section, it said can't report income here.

The rental income should have been reported in box 1 of Form 1099-MISC.  You should request a corrected Form 1099-MISC from the management company.

In the meantime, report the income on Schedule E as if you did not receive a Form 1099-MISC.  You will simply enter the total income for the property. 

In the event that you cannot get a corrected form from the management company, be sure to keep the one that you have in case the IRS has any questions about your rental income. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

The rental income should have been reported in box 1 of Form 1099-MISC.  You should request a corrected Form 1099-MISC from the management company.

In the meantime, report the income on Schedule E as if you did not receive a Form 1099-MISC.  You will simply enter the total income for the property. 

In the event that you cannot get a corrected form from the management company, be sure to keep the one that you have in case the IRS has any questions about your rental income. 

Many thanks for your helpful info AnnetteB. I am asking for a corrected 1099.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies