turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I add investment income from Box 1099-MISC to Form 8960 Part I Line 7? It is not flowing through.

I received a 1099-MISC for investment income. I have been able to find out to input without triggering Sch C/self employment taxes, but the income is not flowing onto Form 8960.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

How can I add investment income from Box 1099-MISC to Form 8960 Part I Line 7? It is not flowing through.

What is the income? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's investment income from various structured investments such as Callable Contingent Income Securities. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should have reported the income as capital gain income from investment sales. You can follow these steps to enter investment sale income in TurboTax:

1. Choose the Federal option on your left menu bar
  2. Choose Wages & Income
  3. Choose the Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto) option
  4. Choose Add investments
  5. Choose the Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds option and follow the instructions
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But the income isn't capital gain, it's ordinary income from the structured securities reported on a 1099-MISC and not a 1099-B.  

I have the same issue

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Yes, but I needed to buy the downloadable version of TurboTax and then you can override the forms to add it.  That was last year.  This year I bought the downloadable version again and TurboTax didn't address the issue and I had to override it again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies