Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HELP: I sold land in a single sale, that was acquired by BOTH purchase and inheritance but Turbo Tax is only allowing me to select 1 box on the 'Method Acquired' screen.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

HELP: I sold land in a single sale, that was acquired by BOTH purchase and inheritance but Turbo Tax is only allowing me to select 1 box on the 'Method Acquired' screen.

If the holding of the purchased land is short-term, meaning held for less than a year,  you can break this down into two separate sales, since the inherited land will have a long-term holding period.

If it's all long term, you can just use the method as purchased and choose various as the date acquired, then you will choose that it's all long-term.  The only point of using inherited is to establish that it's a long-term holding, which is true or all inherited assets, regardless of the date inherited.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

If the holding of the purchased land is short-term, meaning held for less than a year,  you can break this down into two separate sales, since the inherited land will have a long-term holding period.

If it's all long term, you can just use the method as purchased and choose various as the date acquired, then you will choose that it's all long-term.  The only point of using inherited is to establish that it's a long-term holding, which is true or all inherited assets, regardless of the date inherited.

It is Long Term Holdings:  Inherited 6 acres in 2004 and then Purchased 3 additional acres of same land parcel in 2008 from a joint owner
Anita01

Good, having all the land be long-term holdings makes it much simpler.  Still, if you prefer, you can break it down into 2 transactions, one with a basis of inherited and one purchased,  and just allocate the proceeds from the sale by 2/3 and 1/3.  Either way will do.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies